Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Thai Chicken Noodle Soup




Oh yummy... This soup was soooo good!  Tonight's dinner recipe came from an old Food Network magazine (Nov 2010).  I was browsing it while waiting to pick up my son from school and found this recipe, so I went to the store after fetched my son and bought the stuff to make it straight away!  It looks a little strange in the photo because I used glass noodles (or bean threads) and it was dark out by the time I took the photo, so I had to use my flash.  Not great photography, but great flavor!

The recipe used rice noodles, which are good too and I know this because I had a few rice noodles and used them in my son's soup (which I made less spicy). 

This was so easy and fast that it made a perfect weeknight meal. 

Thai Chicken Soup
30 minutes:  Serves 4

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp green curry paste
6 c low-sodium chicken broth (I used Better Than Bouillon, not low-sodium)
1 15-oz can coconut milk (I used low-fat)
1 Tbsp fish sauce, plus more to taste (because I used a full-sodium broth, I used just 1 Tbsp)
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
4 ounces thin rice noodles, broken into pieces (I used bean threads)
2 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb), very thinly sliced crosswise
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
1 c roughly chopped fresh cilantro
my additions:  2 c fresh green beans cut into bite-sized pieces
                        1 dried Thai chili (more or less depending on how hot you like it)

1.  Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-hight heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.  Add the garlic and curry paste and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes.  Add the chicken broth, coconut milk and fish sauce; cover and bring to a boil.

2.  Add the bell peppers and noodles and simmer, uncovered, until the noodles are al dente, about 3 minutes.  Add the chicken and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 more minutes.  Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.  Add more fish sauce and lime juice if desired.

Per serving:  Calories 561, Fat 30g, Sat Fat 22g, Cholesterol 103 mg, Sodium 821 mg, Carbohydrates 36g, Fiber 4g; Protein 38 g

Shop Amazon - Father's Day Shop

  Photobucket

No comments:




Blog Widget by LinkWithin