Friday, May 17, 2013

Sourdough Bread



Have you ever tried to make your own sourdough bread? I tried years ago, but after two weeks, my started turned pink and smelled really funky, so I tossed it. Now that I have had lots of practice making yeast breads, I decided to take it on again. I am a total novice, but wanted to share with you my success. Finally, it worked! It took about a month of feeding and tending to my starter, but it finally turned out the way I wanted; sour flavor without being too sour and just enough of a rise and perfectly crunchy on top, chewy on bottom crust. Love it! I am soooo happy and it is worth all of the effort. I am just going to share with you the starter and bread recipe I used.


I don't need to try to recreate the recipe since there are actual experts out there.  Confessions of a   Bright-Eyed Baker had the recipe I found on Pinterest. I tried it because they didn't make you feed it more than once per week or two. I fed mine more than that sometimes and I made several loaves over the month, but none of them were sour tasting. After I refrigerated my starter for a week or so, it finally turned sour. Exactly as I like it. I used the San Francisco bread recipe at the bottom of this post. It takes a long time to raise it this way, but I love the flavor enough to keep doing it. I have some recipes that take NO time and NO kneading and barely any work, but sourdough is such an awesome flavor that I will continue on with this old-fashioned way of making bread.

Here is the link to the recipe I used. I hope you will try it.  Let me know how you enjoyed it (or otherwise!)

If you would rather start with a sourdough starter that is already started, you can always order one on Amazon or somewhere like that. I think even King Arthur Flour has one that you can order at their site.

Here is a link to an Amazon one...

Or this one...

Or... you can see there are lots of options...

And a few more that you may find useful...


I have this pizza stone and it works well for bread making if you don't want to use parchment and a cookie sheet like I do.



Tami Photobucket

No comments:




Blog Widget by LinkWithin